Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Strangely in Love

2014
90 minutes +/-
English
Romantic Comedy
5 Stars

I rented this movie via Amazon.com, and I'm not positive how long it is, but it's about 90 minutes. It's an independent movie based on Dostoevsky's novella White Nights. Wait. What? A comedy based on dark and heavy Russian lit? Yes. Amin Matalqa found humor, a lot of it, in the novella, and put together one of the truly funniest movies I've seen in years. The cast was marvelous – none of whom I was familiar with, and all of whom were fantastic! Blind Nastenka is in love with Steve, a missionary in Africa. Fyo is in love with Nastenka. Steve is in love with Steve. I seldom watch comedy, and even less seldom watch romance, so for me to recommend a romantic comedy, well, pay attention!


No comments:

Post a Comment