Monday, April 25, 2016

Pina – A film for Pina Bausch by Wim Wenders

2011     

103 minutes
English & Subtitles
Documentary
5 Stars


This documentary is about Pina Bausch and the Tanztheater Wuppertal dance company. I do not pretend to understand modern or interpretive dance, but I found this film breathtaking in places. While I would have liked more about her life (she died 2 days before filming began), this piece, or rather collection of pieces, speaks a great deal. I enjoy ballet (another medium I don't understand, but enjoy it), and now I have modern or interpretive dance to add to my enjoyment. The emotions of the dancers came through their movements rather than facial expression, and at times, I would have liked to see the face as part of the dance. The reviews are all over the spectrum, and with good reason. It is, purely, a thing of the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment