Monday, September 19, 2022

Ashes of Time Redux

Way back when, I saw Ashes of Time Redux via Netflix. As I recall, I didn't really understand it, but loved the special effects. While shopping one day, I stopped at a bin of bargain movies, and there it was, thought I'd get it, and watch it again. Last night, was the night!

I'm not sure I understood it any better this time. In fact, I don't think it's the movie I remember. However I did a little research and now it makes a bit more sense. I was trying to make the movie a whole and it's really chapters. I kept waiting for the character introduced in the beginning to reappear. In short, I was bringing my Eurocentric education to an Asiacentric story. 

Will probably watch it again; however, at this point I will only give it 4 stars. It's Chinese (Hong Kong), directed by Wong Kar-Wai. It's a great action movie, lots of swords and fake blood. 

Official Trailer is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyD_L5ubmL4 


Original review:

Ashes of Time Redux (Dung che sai duk), 2008

Chinese, English subtitles

94 minutes, directed by Wong Kar Wai

5 stars

 

The story started off a bit disjointed for me, but once I saw it as a puzzle, where one puts the straight edged border pieces together first, then fills in the center, by the time the end came, it all came together, beautifully. While placing the puzzle pieces, I enjoyed the scenes, the costumes, and the music. This is the story of a swordsman who retreats to the desert to recover from a broken heart. He hardens his heart to survive, and becomes a hired killer. He, of course, must learn his lessons, and in doing so, we are treated to wonderful sword fights, vignettes of his memory, and absolutely stunning scenery. Disclosure: I put my disc in the Netflix envelope, mailed it, and ordered my own copy!


No comments:

Post a Comment