Monday, September 26, 2011

Glass: A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts


English
1 hour 55 minutes
4 Stars

Two things will reduce me to tears – one of terror, the other of beauty, and they are closely related: Mathematics and Music. I watched this movie about American Composer Philip Glass, hoping to gain insight into how the mind of a musician works, how he hears the notes in his head and can put them down on paper so others can play them and I can hear and enjoy them. Filmmaker Scott Hicks spent a year with Glass, giving us a behind-the-scenes look at his life, his family, and his friends. Born in 1937, Phil still works long days. He says he has too much music in his head to quit writing. I still don't understand how people think in music (or numbers!), but I do enjoy the fruits of their labors. 

Have you seen this film? What do you think about it? What do you think about the music of Mr. Glass?

No comments:

Post a Comment