Sunday, September 20, 2015

War of the Arrows



2011

122 minutes
Korean, excellent English subtitles
5 Stars

This is an epic story. It is violent, dark, and a story of the hunt. The Manchurians/Mongols invade the Korean town on Ja-In's wedding day. Her brother and guardian, Nam-Yi is out hunting, and the town is decimated, with many killed, and many taken as slaves. Ja-In is taken, and the hunt is on as Nam-Yi and a few cohorts he finds go to the rescue. What makes this movie different from many is the actual humanness of the characters. Their fear and panic shows. Personally, I think I would have knocked Ja-In out to shut her up, but in her culture she was probably quite normal. The beginning is a bit long and I nearly stopped watching at 30 minutes, but came back later and finished the movie. I'm glad I did.

Trailer 

No comments:

Post a Comment