Sunday, May 26, 2013

Jiro Dreams of Sushi


Japanese, English subtitles
81 minutes, 2011
5 Stars

This is a documentary about a Japanese National Treasure, then 85-year-old Jiro Ono, sushi chef. It is also about his sons and apprentices, but mostly it is about life and how this man has chosen to live it. I found it thoroughly engaging, and enjoyed watching how the sushi was made, and eaten. I suppose if you are squeamish about such things as food in the raw, literally, you might not appreciate this, but as an aficionado of good sushi (though I've never paid $300.00 for a meal of it, and doubt I will in this lifetime) I found it delightful. I enjoyed the trip Jiro made to his hometown, the visit with his school chums, and his dilemma over what to talk about at the school that invited him. Well made, beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment